Saturday, June 2, 2012

Am I a Hater or a Lover?....of film. Part 1

Because I have been recently accused of being a hater, rather than a lover of film, mostly because my Top 10 List for 2011 consists of four films, I've decided to go back and make my Top 10 Films of the Year list for the past decade.
BTW, here's my Top 10 Films for 2011, I added X-Men: First Class just to try to get to five.
1. Drive
2. Melancholia
3. Bridesmaids
4. Super 8
5. X-Men: First Class

And just to be fair, here's some honorable mentions: Tree of Life, Captain America, Rango, Thor, and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. (I could have made a full list with these, but these last films I just didn't feel like I could list on my "favs" list.



2010
Now while this year was a huge disappointment for blockbusters and Summer films, it was exceptional when it came to dramas and technical pieces. But despite that, Youth in Revolt was by far my favorite film of this year, while Winter's Bone was my favorite for the dramatic and higher brow films and A Prophet was my favorite foreign film.

1. Youth in Revolt
2. Winter's Bone
3. A Prophet
4. King's Speech
5. The Social Network
6. Black Swan
7. Inception
8. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1
9. Despicable Me
10. Tron: Legacy


2009
Again, a clear favorite at the top, but Moon is definitely one of my favorite films of the last few years.

1. Fantastic Mr Fox
2. Moon
3. Zombieland
4. The Road
5. The Hurt Locker
6. A Serious Man
7. Away We Go
8 500 Days of Summer
9. District 9
10.  Inglourious Basterds

Honorable Mention: An Education, Taken, Where the Wild Things Are



2008

Besides these five films I just could not find another film I would consider a favorite. I was a hater this year apparently.

1. The Dark Knight
2. Kung Fu Panda
3. Iron Man
4. Wall-E
5. Doubt








2007
Barely got to 10 on this year. I didn't see Zodiac until this last year and I found it an utterly amazing film. No Country For Old Men still holds a special place in my heart for the film that caused two nightmares where Javier Bardem tried to kill me.

1. Zodiac
2. No Country for Old Men
3. Hot Fuzz
4. Ratatouille
5. Transformers
6. Across the Universe
7. The Darjeeling Limited
8. Juno
9. Live Free of Die Hard
10. Sicko


2006
This is a year that I can look back and re-assess what my favorite films are. I hated Children of Men at first, but now I love it. I didn't see Nacho Libre till way later and now....I am in love with it.
1. Nacho Libre
2. The Departed
3. Children of Men
4. Borat
5. The Pursuit of Happyness
6. Little Miss Sunshine
7. The Prestige
8. The Devil Wears Prada
9. Marie Antoinette
10. United 93
Honorable Mention: V For Vendetta, Accepted


2005
Another hater year. Not much to "fav" during the year, except we saw the best of the Star Wars prequels and the beginning of the new Batman franchise.

1. The New World
2. Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
3. Batman Begins
4. Wedding Crashers
5. Serenity
6. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
7. Madagascar
8. Munich
9. Hitch
10. Walk the Line

1 comment: